From: Jim B. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 3:45 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Mobile Duplexer Question

T.J. wrote:

> I acquired a Phelps Dodge 636 3/3 mobile duplexer tuned for TX freq.
> of 163.8xxx and a RX freq. of 167.5xxx.  What I was wondering was if
> this could be tuned down into the ham band with any success for a
> mobile repeater using some hand held radios.  I was looking in my
> Tessco catalog and saw that this unit resembles the RFS Celwave
> 636-6A-3/3 with specifications of: Freq. range 164-174 Mhz, max power
> 50 watts, min. separation 4.5 Mhz,

There's your answer right there-4.5 Mhz is bigger than the entire 2M ham
band. No, it's not practical to rebuild them to handle a narrower split.

If you want a portable/mobile repeater, you should look towards UHF. The
in/out spacing on 2M doesn't make it easy to do anything portable.
On UHF however, the whole thing, including duplexer and power supply,
can be put in a desktop-size box, about the size of a full size HF rig.
--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL