Say you have a central repeater with a voting system and a handful of
satellite receivers, each of which has its own discrete UHF path back
to the receivers feeding the voter.  Each remote site has to ID its
transmitter when active and, unless filtered out, this ID will then
be relayed via the repeater transmitter.

Assuming all transmitters in the system have the same ID, this
wouldn't be a problem (legally, morally, ethically), but could be a
pain in the patoot if, for example, a mobile station travelling
through the area brought up a string of remote sites in succession;
then you might have a whole slew of IDs including that of the
repeater itself!

Now, I guess you could have each satellite transmit ID without CTCSS,
but inevitably you'll get bits and pieces of it anyway.

Likewise in a linked repeater system you may well end up
retransmitting a distant repeater's ID, but this can be confusing at
times to someone listening to the hub.

My question is...well...the subject line says it all!

Tnx es 73,
Bob