On Saturday 13 November 2004 21:16, Bill Powell wrote:
> Looking to replace a short (~1600') wire link between control site and
> transmitter with an RF link.  There are many inexpensive RF modules
> available to run at 927/928 and seem likely candidates but I'm
> somewhat concerned with ISM and Part 15 devices that also "share" 900
> mhz.

This is a good fear.

You could probably pop over to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a number of
stories of full-blown 900 MHz repeaters getting over-run with crud from ISM
stuff.

You named 'em... phones, baby monitors, crap.  Not to mention in some areas
even toll booth transponder systems.

> The area is lightly populated but the transmitter site (link receiver)
> faces a populated area and many (most) of the 900 modules I've looked
> at natively tune into the 900 ham allocation - just set the freq.

Best bet is to get a receiver and listen for a while to see what's there!

> Has anyone had actual experience using 900 as a link?  Good?  Bad?
> Microwave ovens?  Cordless phones?  Baby monitors? Wireless cameras?
> Whatever?

Most of the folks running 900 MHz repeaters in major cities have to have CTCSS
enabled, if that answers the question.  ;-)

Also don't forget to check your local bandplan and make sure you're not
plopping down in the middle of the repeater outputs.  ;-)

Not that there's a LOT of 900 repeaters, but put it where it belongs,
nonetheless... or work out an agreement with the coordinator.

Nate WY0X