From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Nov 17, 2004 9:21 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] [OT]  Current draw of 2 meter rigs?

I have a notion to put a VHF radio on a bicycle for public service work,
and am wondering if anyone on the list has any better current draw
numbers than those at http://www.arrl.org so I can pick the radio that
will require the lightest batteries.

The problem with a radio on a bicycle is there is no way to top off the
batteries en route except with a solar panel or with an unregulated
fork-mounted dynamo normally intended to drive a 3- to 6-Watt bulb.  A
solar panel big enough to be useful (especially here) would be big
enough to make a dangerous sail if the wind blew and the dynamo, in
addition to creating whine in use, would not deliver enough charge
current to keep the battery up when in use.  I do have a pair of 12 AH
AGM cells on hand that could be pressed into service; with that as a
given, I want to maximize the length of time I can operate from one or
both cells or, alternately, use a smaller battery or pair of batteries
for the same run time.

I suppose I could use a HT for this purpose, but they do have certain
limitations I would like to avoid if possible.  The biggest limitation
is the antenna mount; the second biggest is the low gain of the stock
rubber duckie and its replacements.

Since strictly speaking this is off topic, please E-mail me any

de kg7yy