--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Daron J. Wilson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:>
> One local broadcast station is notorius for running out of nitrogen on
> the hill and letting it go for months on end.  When they finally decide
> it is time, I put a new tank on, crank it up, climb the tower and open
> the valve on the top to push all the old 'air' out with the new clean
> nitrogen.  Again, no change in VSWR unless the system leaked enough to
> take on moisture.  When that happens you can see some VSWR, and often
> you get arcing inside the feedline (not good).
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Daron J. Wilson, RCDD          ) )
> Telecom Manager               ( (
> LH Morris Electric, Inc.       ) )
> (541) 265-8067 office       _|****|  mmm!
> (541) 265-7652 fax         ( |    |  coffee!
> (541) 270-5886 cellular     \|    |
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |____|

Reminds me of a story told by a broadcast engineer friend of mine...
A co-tenant of a site that he took care of regularly cooked several
hundred feet of Heliax by neglecting to keep the line pressurized.
Seems the station management knew no better--simply accepted the
purchase of new line every few years as a necessary expense.
*Brilliant engineering*

Laryn K8TVZ