Greetings,

I would like to enlist suggestions from the group for help. I have a
project on my mind and has been bothering me for a while. In the area
I live there is a need of a simplex repeater. I know that the term
SIMPLX REPEATER is not a true repeater, but a message store and
forwarding device using either a carrier operated relay (COR) or
carrier operated squelch (COS) controller.

My Ideal suggestion for a controller is either the B&D VA10 or the
NHRC 3+ controller. The controller is the brains of the entire
system, allowing analog information to be stored on the ISD chip then
dumping the stored information to the transmiter. The controller is
needed for CWID to be legal on the ham bands.

Now with that all behind us on the controller.I would like some
suggestion on types of commerical radio gear that may be easily
converted to 2 meters or 440 Mhz.

I see Ebay is flooded with all types of stuff that looks like it
should work for my project. I see listings for GE Phoenix mobile
radios, GE master Excutive II ,  Delta and Ranger. I don't want to
stop with just GE so I must include Motorola also.

I'm confused on something, and hopefully someone will guide me in the
right direction. I'm not sure which is needed to complete my Simplex
repeater station, minus the controller. I see all the stuff listed on
EBAY from GE and Motorola like transceiver and repeaters. Which do I
need ? The transceiver or the repeater or both?

I simply want to know my options before I start digging in my wallet.
I know the controller is first and that is my goal first.

I think that commerical gear would be the best choice due to it being
built a bit better to handle the load of usage while in service to
the community.

The pro's and con's of typical ham gear compared to commerical gear.
Most normal ham gear now has CTCSS encode and decode built into them
now . The commerical gear may have to have a tone board installed
plus recrystalled and retuned for usage. I think I have answered part
of my own question. HI! :)

So, I think I have answered my question about what is needed to
complete the simplex repeater project. I need a transceiver; I hope
to find a transceiver that has good power out put. I have seen a few
listed on Ebay having high power . In the worst case I can install an
amplifer into the system.

I hope I have figured out or solved my issues regarding this project.
If not I hope that someone will guide me into the right direction.  I
know there are many bright minds in the group . Please correct me or
guide me in the right direction.

Thanks 73 de KB4ZGO