Wade Lake wrote:

>       I worked in the radio biz for years.  I was involved in setting up
> many a commercial repeater and even though it is good practice to use DCS or
> CTCSS,  I don't recall the FCC licenses restricting carrier access.  That
> goes double for the public safety repeaters (police and such) They almost
> never had CTCSS or the like.  The CTCSS/DCS code was up to the operator.  We
> had to educate lots of people as to why they needed CTCSS or DCS on their
> machines when someone new popped up on their channel and keyed their machine
> as well as their own.  I know that we never coordinated the PL's, we always
> ended up monitoring the licensed channel to coordinate one that would work
> with the existing machines on the channel in our area.  I live in a
> semi-rural area though,  perhaps you are in a populous area?  In larger
> cities the FCC may have such restrictions.  Or maybe the rules have changed
> in the last 10 years...  I may be as high as a kite too but thats the way I
> remember it.
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> Wade - KR7K

A company near here had a UHF CSQ repeater back around 1980-81 when I
was working on their radios. Strange that all the radios had tone, but I
digress. They got told to put it in tone or shut it down in the mid 80's
sometime. It was in tone for a while, then I think it just went away...
--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL