On Dec 2, 2004, at 9:05 PM, Tony King - W4ZT wrote:

> Unfortunately, Nate apparently missed the entire point...

No I didn't.  Drop the insults and come back here to the
repeater-builder topic... why do people insist on using carrier
squelch?

To get back to Art's original topic -- that you missed because he made
a silly kissing cousins joke:

The problem of people resisting the use of carrier squelch in SERA
territory or anywhere else isn't technical, it's sociological.

Here's my offer of a plan - we'll come up with some therapeutic
treatments for those hams addicted to Carrier Squelch.  Let's get these
folks some HELP!  ;-)

-----
12-Step Program for People Addicted to Carrier Squelch
(with apologies to Alchoholics Anonymous)

1. Admit you have a problem with dependency on Carrier Squelch and that
you are powerless to stop yourself or force yourself to use CTCSS.
2. Believe that a better understanding of the RF world via a Higher
Power (Physics) will restore your sanity.
3. Make a decision to turn your life over to your knowledge of RF
principals to rebuild your life in a positive way without the addiction
to Carrier Squelch.
4. Make a searching and fearless inventory of your RF knowledge.
5. Admit to your ham buddies that you don't understand why Carrier
Squelch is bad or understand RF's physical unbreakable rules.
6. Be entirely ready to allow Physics to show you the way and accept
that RF acts in specific ways.
7. Humbly ask someone to explain the basics of CTCSS to you and if
you're ready -- DCS.
8. Make a list of all you've harmed with your use of Carrier Squelch
and be willing to make amends with all.
9. Make amends with all of your fellow hams you've hurt by calling them
with your CTCSS board turned on, except where to do so would injure
them or others.
10. Continue to take personal inventory and when caught using Carrier
Squelch, admit it, while continuing to recognize your progress toward
recovery.
11. Meditate on the Physical properties of RF daily and hum the
beautiful low tones of CTCSS to yourself.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these Steps, carry
the CTCSS message to others to experience the power of 1970's
technology and practice the use of good technology in all your affairs.
-----

Think this'll work?  :-)

We must discuss the sociology to understand it. I'm interested in
knowing why people still run away from CTCSS over 30 years after its
introduction.

I read the good comments about travelers.  I'm not sure I agree with
them.  There's ways to find the tone, both technical and paperback.

The story about chasing four users off was both funny and sad in a way.
  Tragic comes to mind.

Like four lone samurai, they kept their carrier squelch's honor to the
last.  (Camera: Cutaway to shot of four samurai performing ritual
suicide with HT rubber-duckies.  "Oomph."  Closeup on face that knows
he's going to die... Thud.)

[Ooh, that'd make a hilarious ham radio movie... call it "Honor of the
HT Warrior".  Film it Ed Wood style with some throwing stars made out
of tin-foil covered frisbees and "special effects" where those frisbees
are swung into the shot on fishing line into the actors.  Midway
through the movie have a flashback scene to a grizzled old man with
white hair and a Wouff Hong trying to teach the main antagonist the
ways of the One True Ham, but looking off in despair as the young man
exits, stage right, never to return.  For he is off to defend the
Kingdom of Carrier Squelch from the ravages of the land of CTCSS before
he has learned.  He comes across three other true-believers and they
fight to the death against the Stormtroopers of the land of Sanity and
lose, dying nobly by impaling themselves on their HT antennas.]

I'm now going to go struggle with my inner demons that are telling me
to use the secret power of carrier squelch to go key up at least four
10 meter repeaters right now!  The power to create intermod, doubling
and giant unsquelched crashes is too great!  I cannot resist!  Pray for
me.

I'm Nate, and I'm a recovering Carrier Squelch-aholic.

Nate WY0X

Disclaimer: No 807's were harmed during the filming of this mailing
list posting.