> That's not meant to be an argument against using
> tone, just pointing out
> one of the problems. Two possible solutions are: 1)
> A common tone defeat
> code on DTMF which would allow a transient user to
> at least access the
> repeater long enough to hear the announcement (there
> are a couple around
> here like that, mine being one of them), and 2)
> Using something like the
> LITZ code to retrieve the tone information.

I have been usig a DTMF defeat for the subtone for
several years.  That is also announced of the dtmf
code to enter along with the subtone frequency.  After
the subaudio tone is disabled by the dtmf code if
there is no activity on the input frequency for about
30 seconds , the repeater will go from the squelch
activation to needing a subaoudio tone.

If someone is comming into the area without the
subaudio tone programmed in , all he has to do is wait
for the repeater to become inactive lone enough to
enter a 001 on the dtmf pad.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com