Mathew Quaife wrote:

> Well can't say that I have ever went to a Mountain top, no mountins
> in Indiana, (grin),

  True, I've been there once.

  Here, western US, we have mountains.  I live in central Oregon -
 elevation here is about 3500' AMSL.  I also live on a hill - the
 local repeater sites (2) are within 150 yards of my back door.  (I
 own one of them.)

> but it's like the difference between AES and RandL buing a radio,
> nearly $100.00 to $200.00 difference on the price.  One of the
> reason I ask what kind of quality they produce.

  I don't know who RandL is (never heard of them) but I do and have
 bought from AES in the past.

  One time a couple of years ago, I visited the local HRO store in
 the greater Portland Oregon area ... asked about a replacement
 microphone for my Kenwood TM741 ...

   1, they didn't seem to have a clue where it could be found/did
      they have one ...

   2, they didn't know what Kenwood microphone could be substituted
      from which model radio.

  While the HRO people were trying to figure out what to do next, I
 'borrowed' a current QST Magazine from the pile on the counter top,
 looked up the AES 800 number.  When the HRO people told me they
 couldn't help me, I went out to me truck, grabbed my cell phone and
 called AES' Squeak at the Las Vegas store and ordered the mic I
 needed.

  Over the years, I have discovered that are ham equipment stores
 that sell stuph ... then there is one store that can supply when
 the other(s) don't seem to have a clue.

  Similarly, in my opinion, there is one crystal manufacturer that I
 have totally relied on in excess of 35 years - International Crystal
 - and I have heard of others still in some sort of small rock
 business.

  Hope this helps ... my earlier comments below still apply.

  Neil McKie - WA6KLA