Here's something you can try. Put a rather high value resistor, say 100K, from mic high to ground and see if the hiss goes away.

Chuck
WB2EDV

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott
Cc: Scott
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 2:44 PM
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Crystal Phase Noise?

Hello All----

Here is a "crystal" question for the group. Do crystals vary in the amount of random phase noise produced in or by a typical crystal oscillator / FM modulator circuit as used in a typical repeater transmitter? Now, more to the issue. I have a series of repeaters that have more transmitted background audio hiss than the average of other repeaters on the band. I have, in testing, dissabled all of the audio modulating circuitry up to the varicap diode without any change in transmitted noise . This leaves only the crystal and it's oscillator circuit as the culprit noise source-------hence my question. Do crystals vary in produced FM (phase) noise. If the answer is yes, Which crystal manufactures make quiet crystals and just how does one insure that he gets this need across to a crystal supplier?

Scott, N6NXI