Is it a 44BBY, 54BBY or 74BBY?

  The 44BBY is one chassis group, the 54BBY & 74BBY is the same as
 the 44BBY but with the power amplifier attached - which uses a
 4CX250B final.

  Do you have the manual for it?  If you don't, it can be a long
 learning curve.  With a manual, it can be fun.

  BTW, there is the earlier manual for it ... and the later manual
 which shows certain modifications that make the reliability better.

  Also, the associated RT manual tells how to make a repeater out of
 the base station.

  A 44BBB, 54BBB or 74BBB is the base station changing the last B to
 a Y makes it into a repeater.  I deleted the usual first letter
 which specifies the cabinet it is in: J74BBY

  B = base station cabinet, usually 6 feet tall;
  C = Compa Cabinet, about 40-45 inches tall,
  J = Weatherproof cabinet, about 5' tall and quite rugged.

  The first digit being 4, 5 or 7 is the power output level:

  4 = 20 watts out
  5 = 60 watts out
  7 = 100 watts out
  9 = 250 watts out (see below)

JOHN MACKEY wrote:

> I've got one of the old 44BBY base stations I've been meaning to
> overhaul & put in to service at my work.  (where they can pay the
> electric bill to keep it running!)

  And heat the building too.

  John, this is one fun radio to try to get going.  If you like tubed
 equipment, this is a good one for you to get started on.  ;)

  For those of you out there wondering why in all of this, the BBY
 Series of UHF radios is the second in the list of 450-470 MHz
 equipment.  The first, a 44AAY, used a 2C39 driving a 2C39 as the
 final giving about 20 watts out - if you were lucky.

  If you needed more power, then you upped the plate voltage on the
 second 2C39, prayed for the needed 30 watts.  That fed the pair of
 4CX250B's in push-pull.

  I was called to service one of these things about 30 years ago.  A
 certain branch of the federal government had one of these 250 watt
 output systems in their office near Pasadena, California.  The
 output of this thing fed a rather large grid dish on the roof of
 their building - was used as a point to point link - the other end
 being not too far away.

  Quietly I snickered when I found out what they wanted.  They really
 wanted their end of the system completely overhauled and placed back
 in service.  No matter of suggestion that they could get something
 one tenth in weight / ten times the reliability brand new.

  In the end, I had completely retubed the system, a B94AAB base
 station, and finally gave up at about 225 watts output.

  The radio shop I worked for at the time (Wil will remember this)
 didn't have the Bird #43 Wattmeter slug or RF load for this project
 so I brought mine from home.

  A note to Mike Morris, you probably have all of this in your
 Rosetta Stone file ...
  http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/motorola-suffixes.html

  Neil