I have to Strongly disagree.

Scott and I have tuned literally hundreds of receivers, and while we can
hit the mark nearly every time when listening to quieting, there are
other factors to consider.
The ear is an excellent device for listening to quieting and comparing
that to a know standard; I can usually hit that within a few tenths of a
dB. However, the ear is a terrible device for detecting distortion at
weak signal levels, and that's where a calibrated test device is a
must.  Anyone who has done distortion measurements on a receiver at the
12 dB SINAD level will assure you the ear has difficulty hearing the
difference in several dB of distortion.

Better technicians realize the need for the least distortion in radio
systems.  This alone dictates the use of a SINAD meter as you are not
only going for best quieting, but are also going for the least amount of
distortion.  Remember, the AD at the end of SINAD means "And Distortion".

ANY technician would be damn hard pressed to properly align a GE Mastr
II I-F for least distortion by their ear alone.

Kevin Custer