Mike Morris WA6ILQ wrote:

> BTW the W6FNO repeater has been in continuous
> operation since at least 1967, possibly earlier...
> It was first on 82-70, then on 22-82. It was WR6ACD
> for a while, but it's the same group.  Nowadays it's a
> voting and simulcast system with 22-82 at both
> Johnstone Peak (about 3000 feet) and at Onyx Peak
> (at about 8,000 feet) over 60 miles away.
>
> Anybody know of a repeater with a longer history?
>
> Mike WA6ILQ

Not quite that old, but I think some of the inspiration for the Cuyahoga
Amateur Radio Society's original setup came from that group. It started
out as an ARES group on 6M AM that worked closly with Red Cross. It was
determined (my father, Dave, K8MBV, was the main instigator ;c) that 6
wasn't adequate for ARC's needs, and this new thing called FM would
likely be the way to go. A number of 5V's were bought somehow, and got
rocked up on .82 simplex. The repeater went on the air later, around
late 68 or 69, as 146.46 in, 146.82 out, under the call WA8TTO. When the
600 Khz thing came up, we just added a .22 rx, and called the .46 input
a 'base input'. The repeater was all prog-line, with a home built amp, a
pair of 4CX250's running about 200W. Yes, it was REALLY conservative.
--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL