From: Tony King, W4ZT [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 11:59 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Powering the Repeater With Marine
Batteries

One of the best ways to manage the charging of your batteries is to use
a multi-mode charger designed to properly charge and maintain them.
Ibex <http://www.ibexmfg.com> carries two 3 mode chargers that are very
well suited for the job.  If you look at their web page under the 12
volt chargers, the last one listed also has load shedding capability.
That means that not only does it charge the batteries, but you can power
the receiver, controller and exciter (but not the PA) through the load
shedding switch and when the battery voltage drops, it will shut
everything down; saving your batteries from total depletion.

Using a charger like this you will still need to isolate the output of
the AC power supply and the batteries.  I personally prefer to do this
with hard relay contacts so that you don't have voltage drop through a
diode to contend with. Which ever way you choose, spend a little extra
to charge the batteries correctly and they will last a very long time
and be there when you need them.

73, Tony W4ZT