Thanks Neil, that was exactly the problem.  The Spectra-Tac delay was set to 1500 msec.  I guess my second counting was a little fast, as it was only about a second and a half in reality.  I set the delay to zero for now until I can locate a non Spectra-Tac codeplug, and all seems to be working good for now.  Well except for the interference I'm getting from the strobe light on the mast that the antenna is on.  When I shut off the strobe light off all the noise goes away.  Just something else to work on I guess.

Anyone have any experience with strobe light interference?  Any solutions?

T.J.

nj902 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "T.J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
"I'm looking to see if any one on the list that runs an MSF 5000 has
experienced this problem. When I key up this VHF MSF and start
counting, the repeater doesn't key up and start retransmitting untill
I get to four. So there is about a good two second delay to repeater
key up..."

One possible cause of that behavior would be if your station was ever
set up for use with a Motorola Spectra-TAC voting system. In such
systems the normal repeat audio path is through the voting comparator
and back to the station through the wire-line.

A station that is set up for Spectra-TAC and is also set up as a
repeater has a mode called "in-cabinet repeat". Basically what
happens is that when the receiver unsquelches, the controller expects
to receive a line key command from the voting comparator. If that
never comes - the station will eventually key up and repeat
"in-cabinet". That would exactly account for what you are seeing.

If your station does have Spectra-TAC enabled, it would be preferable
for you to load a conventional non Spectra-TAC codeplug, however you
could go to the "Edit Advanced Information" page three and try setting
the "S-Tac Clear Repeater Delay" parameter to zero.

You can tell if your station has Spectra-TAC enabled by going to the
F8 Station Model / Options screen in F4 Change / View.