On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:27:48 -0000, Coy Hilton wrote:

>13.8VDC input run it through an inverter

Any UPS that is big enough to handle the load of a
repeater is usually powered by 24 volts or more
(many 12 volt batteries in series).

The one I just listed uses an internal DC voltage
of 48 volts, with all 4 33AH batteries in series.

I agree with you though, the more times you "convert"
voltage from one level to another decreases efficiency.
At one of our club sites, we have a bank of 6 "2 volt"
500AH cells in series, being charged by a commercial
Staticon unit. The batteries only have to last about
2 minutes, as there is a HUGE generator that powers
everything at the site. Lucky I guess :)

Tedd Doda, VE3TJD

Lazer Audio and Electronics
Baden, Ontario, Canada