--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Custer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> >>Kevin Custer wrote:
> >>
> >>That would be the case if your station was "stock", but since
Reverse Burst is usually not available in the ham circles, it had to
be done differently.

> >Jim B. wrote:
> >
> >I'm not quite sure what reverse burst has to do with this. I find
if the controller is decent, RB still works as it should on repeat
audio when in PL, which is all that matters.  I clipped the jumper
from the decoder to the sq chip because I wasn't getting the good
short Micor squelch with it in, even on a CSQ input.

> The part of the mod in question is the fact that logic from the OEM PL
> decoder goes to the Micor Squelch Chip on the A&S board and when the
> receiver is decoding PL, forces the squelch open *without regard* to
the
> carrier squelch setting.  Since ham radios don't have reverse burst,
> cutting this logic line separates the COS and PL signals so they
operate
> independently; which removes the squelch burst at the end of a
> transmission when a user is encoding PL without RB.  This is done by
> cutting jumper JU204 on the A&S board; as you have found.
>
> So, you see, that's what reverse burst has to do with it, because if
all
> ham rigs had reverse burst, we wouldn't have to cut JU204.

Different ways of looking at the same thing =c}
I would cut the jumper even if I was putting together a stock CR, just
because of the interaction, and I've seen enough cases of the PL
decoder opening (even a Micor decoder) when there was no legit signal,
which would bring up the repeater.

> >As a comment to Jim and anyone else, I used the PL disable switch and
> >the transistor associated with it (on the station control card) as the
> >F1 channel element switch. That way I have a positive tx disable on
the
> >front panel-with an idiot light that comes on when disabled. The
switch
> >grounds the base of the transistor, and keeps the F1 transmit element
> >from coming on.
> >

> That's one way of doing it, however there are times where we modify
> Stations and want to use the PL Disable switch as intended; so I do
it a
> bit differently, to accomplish the same result:
> <http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/stationcontrol.html>
>
> Kevin Custer

Right-the way I did that is definitely NOT for everybody! Especially
if someone is putting up a stock repeater.

Jim