Sorry about the fat-fingered spelling <g>!

mike

At 05:08 PM 02/18/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>I too, have had issues in the past with Cablewave products.  Specifiaclly
>when buried, or run up a tower exposed to the elements.  I build AM
>directional facilities.  No matter what lengths you go to to keep a buried
>line "dry" (mine are usually buried in a piece of sched. 40 PVC pipe)  water
>entered through the outer conductor. On a tower a rigger sometimes nicks a
>jacket while working....  water then gets between the jacket and outer
>conductor.  With Cablewave it always caused problems.
>
>Seems the Cablewave method of edge welding the outer conductor was never
>100% water-tight.  Any nick in the outer jacket usually resulted in water
>getting into the foam.  It has gotten better of the years.  But my money is
>on the Andrew product, no water yet...  and I always install my own
>connectors.
>
>Also our local ham assoc. bought some pre-fabbed jumpers from a guy in PA
>(to remain nameless).  He used crimped connectors.  After moving the rack
>around a few times the ends loosened and caused mucho problems.  I put the
>old superflex jumpers we had made back in the circuit, and the problems went
>away.
>
>An old engineer once told me if you need it done correctly the first time,
>you better do it yourself.  Then you only have yourself to blame if there
>are problems.
>
>Just my 2 cents...
>
>mike

   Mike Perryman                        Cavell, Mertz & Davis, Inc.
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Consulting Engineers
   http://www.cmdconsulting.com             7839 Ashton Avenue
   K5JMP                                Manassas, VA 20109   USA
   (703) 392-9090; (703) 392-9559 fax;  DC Line (202) 332-0110