Warren,
    Not sure you really need the UHF equipment. Since these two meter
repeaters are up fairly high I assume they can see each other. Why not just
add a second receiver at each site looking at the other repeater? Of course
without some tricky controls this would lead to locking up both repeaters.
    If you are using tone squelch you can use a different tone to activate
the secondary receiver. For example, say both repeaters normally use 100 htz
tone. The secondary receiver is set use a tone of 123 htz so it does not
respond to normal repeater activity. Then someone comes along and wants to
link up the two repeaters. He transmits 123 htz tone and his repeater
transmits 123 htz. The secondary receiver in the distant repeater is
activated now because it is listening for 123 htz. The secondary receiver in
the distant repeater brings up its transmitter but with 123 htz instead of
its normal 100 htz tone. This would activate the secondary receiver in the
first repeater but since it is the secondary receiver the active, main
receiver has priority and would override it.
    There are some gotcha's with this system, The main receiver in each
repeater would need to respond to at least two different tones. The tones
should be filtered and regenerated. The tones would need to be muted during
hang time, there only when the receivers are actually hearing a user. The
main receiver must take priority over the secondary receiver and mute it.
    For the user of this system of linking is very easy - just change the
tone!
    In this description I mentioned using only two different tones. In
practice four would be probably be better, less chance of feedback during
turn around.
    If there are only two repeaters involved this is a great way to
effectively tie them together at times. It is legal, at least in the States,
(Canada - don't know) as the secondary receivers are just that, auxiliary
inputs to a repeater, not technically links. There is no "bring up the
link", "turn off the link", to it. The linking state is dynamic and
controlled by each user. It only exists as long as someone is transmitting
the proper tone.

    Getting a couple of receivers to work this close to your output
frequencies may be a challenge, but with some shielding and yagis, it should
be do-able.

73 and good luck with your projects,
Al, K9SI

PS: If you are using carrier squelch now you can use tone squelch only when
you want to activate the distant repeater.

<   Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:15:49 -0500 (EST)
<   From: Warren "Beaulé" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<Subject: linking & contrrolers

<I have two repeaters one at 145.390-   the other at
<145.330- about 65 miles apart one at 3000ft the other
<at 1750ft   Nothing but flat land between I want to
<link with 443.450 and 448.450 what type of controlers
<do I need and how do I do this.  "Help"