--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Mike - WM4B"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> It's an ACS KPR-6000 machine running on 6.25/.85.  The antenna is a
4-
> bay on top of a water tower... probably 200' AGL, on the north end
of
> Warner Robins.  It seems more frequent in the morning hours (0700
or
> so), but is very intermittant.  I believe it happens more during
wet
> weather also, which leads us to believe that it has something to do
> with the telemetry transmitter at the water tower.  (Our repeater
is
> the only antenna on the tower.  The telemetry antenna is on a
> telephone pole, about 25' high.  It's a small vertically polarized
> yagi pointed directly over our repeater shack.  I assume it's
rather
> low power and transmits only when necessary.  It's definately
> suspect, but we can't catch the thing burping when we're at the
> shack!)  It's been going on intermittantly for about a year now.  I
> don't think it initiates itself, but waits for an ID or for a user
> activate the transmitter, then starts the cycle of kerchunking
> itself.  Sometimes it stops in 3 or 4 cycles, but I've heard it go
on
> for an hour or more.  Of course, the whole place is surrounded by
> chain-link fence, so we've only got about a million metal-to-metal
> joins that might want to act like diodes at any given time!
>
> -- de WM4B
> Mike
> Kathleen, GA

Mike;
  I'm not near as experieced as some of these guys but to me it
sounds like the squelch may be just a tad on the loose side and the
repeater may have some desense. WX will effect the squelch setting if
it's  set on the edge (at least here in MS it does).
  Your rptr may be detecting a very slight/weak signal from the user
of another Rptr several miles away (you know how band conditions
vary). Once the squelch opens the desense will kill the receiver
until the coutesy tone and TX carrier drops out, then the recv'r
opens right back up. This will cycle like this until the squelch
closes back up (weak signal goes away). Try tightning your squelch
just slightly, better yet check for any desense.
I hope this makes some sense. I know what I'm trying to say, just
have a hard time expressing it.

Just my thoughts,

Dennis  ki5fw
Lauderdale Rptr Group  w5LRG