At 12:47 PM 3/27/05, "skipp025" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > How much did an article in 73 mag pay way back
> > then (if you don't mind saying)?
>
>"Chuck Kelsey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> answered:
>Boy, I don't remember, but it was not much. Let me put it this way, I never
>had the urge to write another article due to the money.

Over the years I had 3 different articles published in 73,
plus a couple of other writing assignments.  The first article
was three printed pages and needed some serious polishing
and made me $75, and I got smart.  I took the first manuscript
and the printed article to my high school english teacher (I was
a sophomore then) and he helped me polish the later articles,
after congratulating me in front of the class (sigh).
Once my articles needed zero editing the payment was $40 per
printed page.  And Wayne paid me for a fourth article that was
never printed.

Wayne's rules on manuscripts included:
1) the diagrams / schematics / photos were submitted on
individual pages - even if the schematic was of a simple
two-resistor one-transistor inverter, if it was to appear as a
separate diagram then it was submitted as a separate
piece of paper.
2) The manuscripts were to be double spaced, single sided
typewritten pages.

Since this was pre-word processor days the average was
four to 4.5 manuscript pages per printed page.

Mike WA6ILQ

PS: for our non USA readers, the USA "high school" referrred
to above is grades
9 through 12.  Sophomore is the second year. The "grade
school" is years 1-8.

I'm curious how that would convert to the AU and UK school
systems... I know they have "forms"... I've seen reference
to "third form"... whatever that is.