Steve Bosshard (NU5D) wrote:

> On our local EDACS PST clear voice audio from the switch receives ALC and
> minor compression before going to the dispatch consoles or being repeated.
> This helps maintain reasonably constant loudness to the dispatcher's
> headsets, and makes for more uniform system loudness.  This is an 800 Mhz,
> 19 channel, 3 site simulcast system.
>
> Ssb

I'm assuming when you say clear voice, you mean analog, vs either
encrypted or unencrypted Voice Guard, AEGIS, or ProVoice.
What you are hearing is AGC in the console electronics, and does not
affect repeat audio. There may also be some AGC in the microwave or what
ever means they use to connect the sites together, but only to keep the
levels from exceeding 0dBm.
BTW, what is a PST? Not familar with the term.

--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL