Best answer I have found for soft spoken folks is the little mic preamp board used in some of the old GE Phoenix and MVS radios.  Little single stage amp that operated from bias on the mic line.

I usually set the deviation limit for voice at 4.0 Khz. And allow a little for tone/dcg.

NEVER EVER USE THE TRANSMITTER DEVIATION CONTROL TO MAKE UP FOR LACKING MIC GAIN.  A soft spoken person may need a mic preamp, or a more sensitive microphone.  Beware of excessive mic gain competing with ctcss and causing drop or talk down.  A small swamping resistor might be in order.  Wish Helper still made the modulation density meter…

SOP is to set a tone gen at around 50 mv or enough to fully modulate the transmitter, and then set the deviation limit to around +/- 4.0 Khz @ 1000 Hz. Tone.  Using the IDC to boost mic gain will lead to overmodulation and clipping out of the pass band of the receiver, not to mention the joy you will bring to your adjacent channel neighbors.

2 cents and 30 years,

Steve

<<image001.jpg>>

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Bosshard;Steve;S.;;(NU5D)
FN:Steve S. Bosshard
ORG:Bosshard Radio Service
TITLE:Proprietor
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(254) 773-1102
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(254) 773-1174
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(254) 770-0111
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(254) 624-4230
TEL;WORK;FAX:(254) 773-1174
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;503 B. South 25th. Street=0D=0ATemple, Texas 76504
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:503 B. South 25th. Street=0D=0ATemple, Texas 76504
ADR;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;901 Delaware Drive=0D=0ATemple, Texas 76504
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:901 Delaware Drive=0D=0ATemple, Texas 76504
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:20040610T093050Z
END:VCARD