One final question...I didn't think to ask the tech...will my
current software work with the upgrade or will I need to upgrade it
as well?

Kenwood hasn't changed the software as far as I know since it was
written, it will work fine.

We Bought a TKR 750, we had it for 5 or 6 years and it worked
flawlessly so when it came time for a UHF repeater, it was a no
brainer on what to buy. We bought both of them from member of this
list server. About a year ago, the 850 didn't seem to be working
right so a couple of us went to the repeater site. When I checked
the power out from the TX to a dummy load, we had only 7 watts out,
I thought something was wrong with my Bird so I checked with another
watt meter, it was about the same. We contaced our local Kenwood
dealer and they replaced the PA with the update, no charge, It now
runs 25 watts out, they said we could run it a little higher, maybe
30 watts but we chose to keep it at 25.
If I remember correctly, when you program it for a repeater with the
software, it automaticly sets the power at 25 watts, if you set it
up as a base radio, 40 watts, but this is just from memory.
I have the service bullitens on the PA update, if anyone wants it, I
can email it to them, it is 4 pages.
Bill WA9BA