Hi Skipp,,,Brilliant just what I was looking for someone who has the "T" shirt,,,, was involved with some of the first UK ham repeaters back in the later 70's now getting back into them,,,and yes have loads of test equipment etc,,,and hopfully the knowledge to use them,,,once again many thanks,,

Fraser

skipp025 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hopefully you have the instruments to align
the cavities.

Clean any visible threaded shafts and mechanical
parts with a small (wood handle type) Stainless
Steel or Brass Brush.

Use a combination of clean lint free rags and
a non residue leaving lubricant to lightly
free up the mechanical parts. Amsoil MP
Synthetic Spray is a good choice for some places
(and it's cheap to buy).

Measure and record the relative shaft lengths
and any available adjustments.

I made up a drill chuck/clamp for the tune
rod. After the above steps, I slowly run the
tuning rods up and down almost the entire range
of the plunger assembly. Using a Makita hand
drill and many others with a very light torque
release setting will ensure you don't damage
the mechanics.

Running the plunger cap up and down a few times
will help remove oxide buildup and pitting.

High power RF, nearby lighting (and direct) can
cause serious plunger/cap pitting, especially
with/during small mechanincal vibrations. More
so from inexperienced high power duplexer tuning.

Those who use the rf power alignment duplexer
tune method are advised to use very low power for
the initial coarse adjustments.

Put the duplexer adjustment back in range, adjust
with your test equipment and see if the noise
goes away. Be sure to check the coax jumper
and connectors for proper assembly. A very light
coat of Caig Labs ProGold G5 on a rag can be
wipped over the connector ends.

Plunger pitting is a very common noise source.
Bad cases from lightning strikes and "Boob Tuning"
may not be easily fixed ... in such cases you
can only use the cavity at other frequencies
where the adjustments don't place the damaged
plunger/body mechanics at the same location.

Been there, done that, coffee mug and tee shirt.

cheers,
skipp