Yep.

The other reason not to buy expensive crystals is if you are trying to find a
clear channel for your repeater to operate on. In southern California, the
70cm coordinating body is pretty close to ineffectual.  If you have to change
frequencies 2-3 times to resolve interference issues it can get mighty
expensive if you use the best supplier.

As for controllers, I use app_rpt since I'm one of the developers. See
www.zapatatelephony.org/app_rpt.html

Steve
WA6ZFT