I may have missed part of this discussion, but if the grease is put in the
connector or under black tape, how is it exposed to UV sunlight so that
it will destabilize?

My understanding about silicon grease is that it can change the dielectric
constant of the connector.  I have used silicon grease in the connector
and the antenna would not tune until it was cleaned out.

I also understand that over time that silicon grease will "creep", that is,
it will move between the metal to metal connection of the connector
and form a thin insulating layer.

Micheal Salem N5MS
Norman, Oklahoma

Jim B. wrote:
The proper thing to use is the PTFE Teflon lube that comes with the
antenna. At least it's supposed to come with new antennas...
It looks like silicon, but it's not. Silicon grease has been found not
to be completely UV stable.