--- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One thing I've never been able to explain to people
> is: Why do the big Celwave, Sinclair, etc.
> "StationMaster" type antennas have only 5.2 dB gain?
> Actually, the 2-meter range ones are listed as
> typically having only 4.8 dB gain, after putting the
> longer, lower-frequency elements in the 22' long or
> so radome.
>
> The typical 5/8 wave mobile antennas have "3 dB
> gain", some of the "ham-grade" antennas claim 7-8
> (and even 10 dB gain). I occasionally get asked, why
> do you use one of those expensive, low-gain
> Sinclair, Celwave, etc. antennas instead of
> Hustlers, Diamonds, etc that have so much more gain?
> Even the big Scala OG-4 2-Meter antennas are 4 dB
> gain, if I remember correctly.
>
> I've always been at a loss to explain, but having
> tried some of these amateur antennas, I see quite a
> performance difference (for the better, of course)
> when I go back to using the "real" commercial-grade
> antennas.
>
> I'm sure there must be something simple that I'm
> overlooking.
>
> LJ

It is all just advertising.  The comercial 4 to 6 db
gain antennas are refferanced to a dipole antenna.
The 'ham' antennas are reffranced to isotropic, or 1/4
wave antennas or maybe a handy talkey rubber duck.
Many times the numbers just seem to be made up.
Just as you will see things advertised on TV that can
not hapen.  Just look at the car and truck comercials.
 Do you think they can do some of that if you were to
buy one ?

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html