I am not sure about this and I am at the office and do not have the
formula for wpm (but I think it is continuous dots anyway), but the
text messager (Ben Cook) said that he could send 160 characters
in 57 seconds ("very quick").  That would be over 30 wpm at 5
characters per word.  (Roughly 160/5 x 60/57 = 33.68 wpm)

The phrase that was sent was about 39 characters (I didn't count a period
at the end, but I thought I heard one).  That would be about 8 words (eight
words if you count the period).   But, according to the time line of the
video it took 20 seconds (actually less because they had to turn over the
card and look before starting to send.  That took maybe 3 seconds, so the
time was maybe 17 seconds?

That makes their speed about 28.24 wpm (60/17 x 8).  Of course,
this is a case where split seconds could make words of difference
since my only resolution was 1 second on the clock.

But it seemed a lot faster to me.  I would expect that they would not
have done less than 35 wpm to be sure they had a margin of victory.

It was a great performance though.

Micheal Salem N5MS

JOHN MACKEY wrote:
it seemed a lot faster than 30 WPM, more like 40 or 45 wpm.  I can usually
copy bits & pieces from about 15 wpm up to 30 wpm.