OK Mike (WA6ILQ), I am reading on the repeater builder web site about the
Mitrek PL (HLN4181) board.  I have a 10 Meter FM remote base connected to my
repeater via an RLC-3 controller.  I CURRENTLY use the HLN4020 dual element PL
board in my 10FM remote base & am strongly considering swapping it for the
reedless HLN4181 board due to the ease of changing PL.  I know I could simply
put a Comm-Spec board in, but using the HLN4181 saves money (since have one
currently collecting dust) and it would give me reverse burst no metter what
tone I am using.  (Rev burst is nice because I occasionally access another
remote base across the countty during band openings, and our two remotes using
the same PL with rev burst is really nice!!)  I could simply set the reedless
board up with a couple of different tone options & switch resistor networks on
the fly.

On the web site regarding the HLN4181 reedless board you state:
"There is also an audio notch filter on the board to remove the received PL
tone from the received audio.   However it's a pretty poor design and you
don't want to try to use it in repeater service - just plan on using an
external high-pass filter between the receiver and your repeater controller"

So, Mike, what exactly is the proble with the high-pass filter?  Is is any
worse that the other moto PL board high pass filters?

I know I could simply pick the audio off the discriminator BEFORE the PL
filter, but I don't do that.  I always use a PL filter BEFORE the audio goes
into my controller so the PL tone does not get repeated & cause other
problems.

Type away!!

thanks