Look for a copy of the August 1982 issue of 73 magazine which has an article
called Smart squelch.  I couldn't find a copy of the article but I did find
it listed in an old "Radio kit" catalog in my file.  I built two of the
radio kit versions years ago and they have served me well for monitoring
weak signal SSB on VHF.  After Radio Kit quit selling them, there was
another company that supposedly built a better smart squelch that I read
about in a SWOT newsletter one time but I never saw that version advertised
anywhere else other than that one review. I have no idea which issue of the
SWOT newsletter.

John Lock KF0M
Wichita KS
 kf0m at arrl dot net