Here's my situation.

I have been looking for a new repeater site for quite awhile.  One of

my potential sites was owned and previously used by a BIG utility

company for a microwave site about 10 years ago.  It has since been

abandoned and left to deteriorate.  It's at about 3000 ft elevation,

with an access road about 1/2 mile long that has for the most part

eroded away to a four wheeler trail. Check on local regulations and rules concerning required upkeep necessary on the road. Check for an Easement if the road passes thru someone’s property. There's still a transformer on

the pole, but no drop, and a 20x10 concrete block building with two 4"

masts sticking up about 15 ft from the roofline.

Just for kicks and giggles, about a month ago I shot off an email to

the corporate website to see if I could get access.  Their land agent

called me this morning.

They want to sell it to me.  At appraisal.  1 acre of mountaintop.

Am I nuts for thinking this may be the opportunity of a lifetime--if

not from a ham radio perspective, then as a business venture (site

leasing, etc.)?

Just curious if anyone had experience with this.

Steve, KE4MOB

Is 1 acre the total size of the parcel, or is there more available? If there is more land, look at the layout. Can you fit a larger, heavier duty tower on the parcel without it falling across the property line? Is there enough room for guy anchors?

Check the zoning of the property. If it’s not zoned properly you might no be able to obtain a construction permit to make improvements!

Make sure the Tower and Building are not included in the appraised value of the land. These are removable items. This will reduce your property taxes.

Definitely get a fence built around the tower and building as soon as possible. If it’s guyed then you will want to fence the guy anchors too.

Hope this helps!

Wayne