>Think how many houses have that exact same situation.

I know I suffer from this big-time.
Lots of wall wart devices.
They are going to switchers though, it's finally come to the place
where the switcher is cheaper than the iron and shipping from China.
Last year, I needed a new wart for something, and was surprised by a
"lighter than air" 1A wart for $15, with adjustable output voltage,
that is a switcher.
It's still going, so acceptable quality I guess.

Lots of devices plugged in at my place, and the devils that design
them love to stick in digital clocks, so you don't want to unplug them.