Fred Fitte wrote:

>Having a radar unit is perfectly legal.

But using it on the highway can get you in trouble.   I know someone who
almost got boxed up by a group of 18 wheelers when they figured out the
signal lighting up  their radar detectors was coming from a personal
vehicle.   A lot of these old radars are showing up at hamfest and I
doubt very many are being bought for amateur radio projects.  For those
hams who say their X band radar has been tuned down into the amateur
band from 10.525 GHz, I wonder how they send their required ID every 10
minutes.  Also I wonder if K band radar at 24.150 GHz fall under FCC
Part15 regulations.  The power the gunn oscillator puts out may be at
Part15 level into an isotropic antenna but what about when connected to
a lens antenna?  There was a time when each department had to have a FCC
license for their radar units.  Later their units were covered by their
public safety radio license.  Perhaps this has changed also.

Dex