Kris Kirby wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Jeff Otterson wrote:
>
>>I thought that police radar was licensed under Part 90...
>

> It's been said before that Jerry runs a communications shop; don't most
> shops own a repeater or three and have Part 90 license? Perhaps he was out
> for a test drive that day to test the radar unit under his GROL....

I'm calling BS on this one!! I was in the radio biz for 18 years. Most
of that time, I drove a company car with at least two and sometimes 3 or
4 radio antennas on it. Of course, I didn't drive an old cop car, nor
did I have a radar gun, or a set of wig wags on the rear deck. I never
had ANY trouble with the law enforcement folks. But..... I didn't act
like a cop, walk like a cop, dress like a cop, or give any impression to
anyone that I might be a policeman. I had radios full of law enforcement
frequencies, both transmit and receive in my car. None of this stuff by
itself will get you any trouble, I'm proof of it. It was said before,
and I intend to agree, there must have been something else that has not
come out that led the arresting officer to be misled into thinking this
young man was acting in a manner that caused the officer to believe he
was violating the state law.

As for building a vehicle to be used by emergency or county officials in
case of an emergency..... I wonder who's authority he was building this
vehicle under? If, in fact he was building it at the request of say a
county judge, or a police chief, why hasn't this official stepped up and
stopped the proceedings? It's just like the AREAS folks, they don't do
anything until asked by an official, then they have the authority to
act. Apparently this young man did not have the authority to act in a
manner that he was..... I wish him luck.... Mike Pugh KA4MKG