If you jump up to the 902 band, there is an established Itinerant Repeater
Pair in SERA Land and some other states which are patterned after SERA's
Bandplan...

In many of those areas 927.4875/902.4875 is available for Mobile or
Portable Repeater Operations....Unspecified locations and tones.. Users are
recommended to keep tone and/or DPL agility to avoid localized conflicts...
Only rule is not for permanent operation at a fixed location beyond short
term testing.....

The 902 band is still open enough as to allow such operation with little
problems. I know 4 or 5 guys who bring portable 900 repeaters to Dayton
every year, me being one of them...
         My portable 900 freq agile ( 4 preset pairs ) low power ( 8w )
repeater has a Comm Spec TP3200 on it and is set up for any/all  PL but a
PL is required.... roaming users can access it at the Dayton Hamvention
regardless of their home state "regular" tone... I can also disable tones
on a case by case basis if someone comes in with their own repeater on the
freq at a fest.... and hang times are set to all but 0.... keeping
collisions to a minimum. Assuming the user operation range is overlapping,
non repeated tones or carrier will hold off CW id from interfering also...
         Works pretty well and with a 30 foot antenna height works most of
Dayton during the event....

         Actually at 902/927 there are only about 16 pl/dpl codes in use
nationwide and new operations are recommended to use an existing freq/tone
combo if they have interest in allowing "roamers" to access their
repeater... We are trying to limit the number of combinations if and where
possible, as we have no VFO radio's, almost all are channelized commercial
converts...with limited ( some 10 or less ) channel capacity... Many of the
Las Vegas machines were patterned after other freq/tone pairs used in other
major cities to support roaming or roving hams passing through for trade
shows etc....I think that is a nice form of cooperation...:-)

Doug
KD8B