Alexander N Tubonjic wrote:

>  Hello All,
> The local department of Forestry has an observation tower that is
>over 200' off the ground. I would like to put my UHF Amateur repeater
>on that tower. I stopped by yesterday and talked to the Fire Fighter
>that was stationed there. He had told me that cellphone companies had
>asked if they could put some equipment on the tower and the DOF flat
>out said no; however, the guy I talked to said a friend of his was a
>Ham and had expressed an interest in putting a Ham repeater on the
>tower and it was okayed but the Ham moved before anything was put into
>effect. The guy I talked with said to leave my contact information and
>he would pass it on to his boss and have him contact me with more
>information.
>   I was wondering if anyone has done anything tower related with the
>Department of Forestry? If so what was your experiance like? I
>remember reading somewhere that hams and the DOF have an MOU together
>for tower space, anyone know anything about that? Any past experiances
>and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and 73.
>                                             Alexander KG4OGN

In June 1990 I installed a 2 meter repeater on a Pennsylvania (DER) Fire
Tower.  It's co-located with a CAP 2 meter repeater.  It's been there
ever since, no problems with the Department of Forestry or DER.  It's
the second highest 2 meter repeater in PA.

Later that same year, August I believe, I installed yet another repeater
on a different Fire Tower.  Later on, in 1997, the DER contacted me and
said this particular tower and ground cabin was being sold to relieve
the DER of liability.  A friend of mine and I purchased the "Hay's Mill
Fire Tower" and Ground Cabin later that same year:
<http://www.shol.com/kuggie/ahra/hmft.html>
<http://www.shol.com/kuggie/ahra/hmftinfo.html>

My experiences with the DOF and DER have been good, YMMV...

Kevin Custer