Hello,

Many years ago I built crossband radio setup going from a simplex PPL 6060
to a EF Johnson 800 MHz trunk radio.  The simplex PPL 6060 was not good
enough so I built a full duplex mobile repeater out of another  EF Johnson
PPL 6060 on one of the old splinter channels.  I had a 16 function Touch
Tone decoder controlling a E F Johnson 800 MHz trunking radio in my truck
that also carried two batteries.  I had a Phelps Dodge, Cellwave whatever 4
cavity mobile duplexer feeding a antenna mounted under the truck which most
of the time gave me good enough coverage to go inside large building without
a lot of dead spots.  If I needed more coverage I just stuck a mag mount
antenna on top of the truck, along side the other 5 antennas <grin>.  I
could change systems or groups, go to the phone patch, turn the trunk radio
off or inhibit the transmitter so I could use the repeater locally without
bothering the office.  I still have the PPL 6060 that's now on a Ham
repeater frequency with the Touch Tone controller but the trunk system has
gone the way of NEXTEL unfortunately!

It was fun to build and use!  Who cares if it was legal or not, besides they
can't get me now, the statute of limitations is past now!

Actually we had licenses on all frequencies and the FCC did not care what
you did with the splinter channels at the time, or so the lawyer said!

Paul
WB5IDM