At 8/2/2005 03:59 PM, you wrote:
>Hi Bob,
>
>The Midland & Clegg receivers would be stomped
>on like a "narc at a biker rally"... at most
>of the major high level sites where the noise
>floor is mostly a disaster and the rf is intense.

Certainly the 13-509 RX doesn't have much front-end filtering.  What seems
to help is the fact that most high-level RF is way out of band for the 220
MHz RX, so not much filtering is needed.  A long time ago I took my old
Tempo S2 HT with me to Santiago Peak (extremely high-RF site); it was the
only radio I could hear anything off-site on.  Now if you're talking about
a site where you can measure RF coming DOWN your feedline with a wattmeter,
then yes of course anything without helical resonators is going to get
clobbered.

>Nothing like a multi-kw FM Station  or two, or
>three or five nearby to let you know how good
>a project builder you are.

Some sites around here that have multiple FM broadcast TXs also have
in-band noise on 2 meters.  Can't filter that out with anything.

>Once in a while you can get lucky using the
>Midland & Clegg Radio Receivers at a more
>quiet site.

I wouldn't call my downtown LA site "quiet".  Not much on-site (2 UHF TXs),
but there's a building about 1000 ft. away lined with omni sticks.  I'm
told the bulk of them are for paging TXs.

Bob NO6B