At 05:13 AM 8/3/05, you wrote:

>Greetings
>
>What are the most popular and most dependable radios to use on a
>voting system?

Usually it depends on what you can find in quantity, and with
documentation.  I recommend that you read the two voting articles
at www.repeater-builder.com on the "Technical Information" page.
One of the points made is that you will want identical audio
characteristics at each satellite receive site, and the easiest way
to get that is to make each site identical - which means identical
radios in quantity.
The RVS-8 manual is also on that same web page.

>  I know some guys that use GE Phoenix SX radios for
>linking.

Why waste a broadband radio for one channel?

>  Would they be good for receiving on VHF and then linking
>back to the main site to the voter on UHF?

I'd use a receiver like a Mastr-II, a Micor or a SpectraTac.
As to the transmitter, your choices depend upon the power
level you need (which can be greatly reduced if you put a
beam at the outlying receive site).  I've seen a lot of link
transmitters that are not much more than the exciter
feeding a cavity filter feeding the beam antenna - maybe
200mw into the antenna.  It does not take much power to
go from a high site to another high site when they are
line-of-sight...

I know of one local site that has a 5w UHF GE MVP link
radio that at one time I was there was feeding a mag mount
spike stuck to the top of the rack, and according to the
system owner the other end of the link hop (50 miles away,
line of sight) used another UHF mag-mount spike on top of
that rack - and the link was full quieting.

No, I'm NOT suggesting mag mounts inside the building is
good amateur practice, but it does show what can work in
a pinch.  And the last time I was at the site the transmit
antenna had been replaced with a 4 element beam... don't
know about the other end of the link.

>Also, is the RVS-8 from LDG a good voter to go with?

Hasn't anyone besides me noted that the rate at which
it votes changes based on which menu is currently
displayed on the LCD?  I suspect that if someone were
to reverse engineer the internal software that they would
find a LOT to be desired....

Mike WA6ILQ