skipp025 wrote:

>>"Jim B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Just for everyone on the list, the idea of higher
>>channels on a trunked system being less used only
>>applies to LTR systems, where everyone is assigned
>>a 'home channel', and you only go to another channel
>>if that's in use.
>

> Never say never... I've seen software for many or
> most of the trunking formats where channels can be
> preferred, reserved or queued based on priorities
> and preference.  It can really get out of hand in
> some hybrid public safety and consumer mix systems.
>
> ... then add interconnect (telephone auto patch)
> into the mix.
>
> Although I've not had to get into the MTP or Edacs
> system too much... I've seen and done repeater stacking
> on Motorola and LTR trunking formats. One time for
> the same reason we're talking about it today.

Well, EDACS has what they call 'test partition' where you can set a
channel or group of channels out of the normal rotation, then assign a
unit or group of units to that partition. But I think you can only have
the two partitions (main and test), and it's NOT meant to be left that
way long term.
You can also limit which channels can be control channels, and even
whether the CC rotates through or stays on one channel all the time
unless it alarms.
Interesting comparing systems...

> As if we don't have enough to understand in the
> world of two-way radio.

Ain't that the truth! I'm trying to wrap my head around P25 trunking now.
Oh yeah, and now we gotta know things like IP, and networking!

>>I do agree with your assesment of his problems. The
>>only other suggestion I might make would be to push
>>for channels that aren't so evenly spaced. In other
>>words, make sure the spacing between channels is
>>NOT related to the spacing from tx to rx. But it's
>>probably too late for  that.
>>Jim Barbour
>>WD8CHL
>

> Rarely have I been allowed an available choice... one
> system I have on VHF has 200 KHz tx to rx spacing.
> Thank you FCC for making my day...   yes, the system
> works just fine. Another story some day.
>
> cheers,
> skipp

|cP

Course, the big 6M rptr here is 240 Khz. By choice. But it's split
site-VERY split. Nearest rx to the tx is probably 7-8 mi line-of-site I
think, furthest is 70+.

--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL