Most of the commercial radios and repeaters in the 220 MHz band are
designed for amplitude-companded SSB (4K00J3E) operation and cannot be
economically converted to conventional FM (16K0F3E) operation.  I was
recently given an ESP1000 repeater made by SEA, Incorporated, that is in
mint condition.  I thought I had a valuable asset until I realized that
the only components I could possibly use were the chassis and front
panel.  Caveat Emptor!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY