Gary

You are sooooo right.  Apart from that, one time we had a heck of a time with the same item (in service) where the spring was all rusted and corroded into 3 pieces.  I have nothing against Radio Shack and frequent the place regularly for various reasons but IMHO stay away from their RF connectors.  Most, if not all of them, are of substandard electrical and mechanical quality.

Tony, VE3DWI

While the discussion is about proper and quality cable, don't forget to keep away from PL 259 style Tee connectors sold by Radio Shack.  They have a little coil spring that puts pressure on the center conductor going between both SO 239 ends. This little spring is the center connection and it also is a RF coil and acts as an inductor that will play havoc on 440 MHz area and above frequencies. I cut one in half with a hacksaw and the spring on center conductor is quite obvious. Use only quality connectors.

Gary  K2UQ

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS