I've had the same problem caused by an old station master.
We swapped it out and the new antenna fixed the problem

I thought the original post mentioned the unit worked
fine on the same antenna split... which is not really a
true test... but it leads me toward the plunger arcing
test/tune first.

Testing the antenna with strong wind moving it around
quite a bit would be the best first choice for checking
the station master.

skipp