Seems like an exageration to me. Most likely outcome would be that the system would continue to overheat until both batteries went below 11 volts. Possibly the charger would blow a fuse or burn out. IF you call that a fire......ok. I have seen a battery explode when there was not much electrolyte left and a large amount of current was applied to it. I guess a spark between the plates ignited hydrogen generated from the gassing of the remaining electrolyte and as the caps were still on it blew a corner out of the case.

Tony VE6MVP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 01:12 AM 2005-08-24 +0000, you wrote:

>Can anyone relay any real life experiences with this?

To add to the many other comments I recently drove a ham to a remotish link
radio site and helped him a bit with replacing the batteries. They were
two auto batteries from totally different manufacturers. One was so hot
you could barely touch it. The other was room temperature. The battery
charger had gotten very hot as well. So much so it was uncomfortably warm
to the touch five minutes later. The ham, who has vastly more experience
than I do, stated there could've been a fire within days.

The two batteries were replaced with a highway truck sized battery which
was the same size as the two previous batteries put together.

Tony