I've probably been into Spectrum Repeater Equipment
as much as anyone else in this group.

Technical wise, their stuff is not really that bad.
The only big problem I've found with their transmitters
is the use of non rf rated capacitors in the rf stages.
I've mentioned the cap issue here on the group in the
past. Spectrum is not the only Company making the non
rf rated cap mistake...  (Even one of the larger HF
Amateur Amplifier Companies (Ameritron) uses non rf
rated caps in some of their circuits.)

I like their later version Spectrum Receivers quite
a bit... a pretty good Technical Design and pretty well
constructed. I buy some of their transmitters off Ebay
and replace the mentioned problematic caps. A proper
alignment, "burn-in" test and they do rock and roll a
long time.

I have one of Spectrum's original Dealer Demo 440 MHz
self contained repeaters in service. Still works well
at the rated output.

Yeah, Spectrum is not so great in some business ways...
but the late receiver and transmitter circuits are
straight-forward designs that can be made to play
pretty well.

cheers,
skipp