Matt (W6KGB),

I remember back in the early 70's when I was in college, a couple of us
guys made a long bus trip from Southern Oregon down to Fresno in May, just
a couple of weeks after the annual Fresno Hamfest. 2-Meter Repeaters were
just really catching on in the rest of the country, and there was a special
"FM West", I believe it was called, hamfest in Fresno. I remember Wayne
Green from _73_ Magazine attended the event and spoke at the banquet. He
was pushing 220 MHz at that time, and I still have a 220 MHz T-shirt that I
got from him at the event.

While we were there, I remember that we saw a GRONK van, with a wooden rack
in the back that had about six Motorola Motracs in it (really high-tech
stuff at that time!) and a bunch of control heads, speakers and mics up
front, and the roof covered with antennas. Needless to say, we poor college
students, who were barely able to afford a one-channel 2-Meter Motorola 80D
were quite impressed! We still talk about it once in a while to this day.
It was a great hamfest, and we went back to Oregon all enthused about
putting up our own 146.94 Repeater, as soon as we could afford it.

It was a great day when we bought an old Motorola Sensicon "A" receiver,
the matching 60-watt transmitter and power supply, and built up a COR copy
of the Motorola tube-type COR circuit (out of "The Red Book".) Anyone who
has been involved with Amateur FM back in the 70's will know what the "Red
Book" and "Yellow Books" were.  Of course, such luxuries like Heliax,
Stationmaster antennas, Duplexers, etc. were out of the question. But the
repeater was born.

Most radios back then in our area (if you had a two-channel radio) had room
for 146.76 Simplex and the 146.34/146.94 Repeater pair. In Oregon, there
were four - 146.94 Repeaters across the State, and a ham group in Southern
Oregon built up tone burst boxes - each repeater used a different tone
burst. The hand-built, hand-tuned (hand picked capacitors for the
oscillator using an 88 mh. toroid) units were sold for $25 each to the
Southern Oregon Repeater Assn. members. I still have mine!

There was one UHF Repeater in Oregon that I know of back then - across the
State up in Portland.

Please excuse the off-topic rant, just seeing the GRONK note reminded me of
the fun we had when ham radio FM was just taking off, and how some of the
Southern California people were really going all out with real high-tech
installations. We could never have foreseen what the FM Repeater activity
would become in later years.

73,
Larry, K7LJ