Kevin,

You don't have to "convert" anything- just get a Motorola R1225 transceiver
model M03GRC90C2AA.  This nifty radio is a full-duplex transceiver, with a
built-in controller and Morse IDer.  This model is rated at 1 to 10 watts, and
it covers 146-174 MHz out of the box, but can be programmed down to 144 MHz
using the "shift-key method" with no loss of performance.

I am putting together a portable 2m repeater using this radio, right now.  The
2m coordinating body in my area has wisely set aside a wide-spaced pair,
exclusively for low-powered portable repeater use.  This pair (147.585 MHz
input and 144.930 MHz output) has a wide-enough split (2.655 MHz) that I can
use a Celwave 5085-1 compact base station duplexer.  The whole repeater,
duplexer included, fits into a fiberglass carrying case that is about one cubic
foot in size.

Yes, I will have pictures and a how-to-build-it story, once I complete the
assembly and testing phase of the project.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY