The transmitter in its present form - mobile chassis mount ... is
 20% duty cycle at best.

us_communications1 wrote:

> the fact that they are mobiles and the design of the power supply
> make little difference an any piece of equipment can be
> re-engineered to perform a needed task.

  The transmitter will lose its FCC Type Acceptance if you make any
 unauthorized modifications to it.

> all that is needed is time and ability. simultaneous transmit and
> receive will be addressed by seperate antennas.

  How do you propose to power both the transmitter and receiver
 (simultaneously) with the built-in power supply?

> WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS DIRECTION OF HOW OTHERS DID THIS. the
> radios are 30+ years old so i can't believe that i am the first
> to think of using the higer quality tube equipment.

  How I did it 30+ years ago ... was to not use the radios you
 mentioned.

> this equipment is very expensive

  When it was new, now it is now considered as junk.

> and i was fortunate to have it donated to the non-profit group i
> am working with.

  My liberal translation is - someone was very happy you took it
 off their hands ... maybe?

  Neil